Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
is slings powerful enough for small gam hunting? (Read 15258 times)
crazysling
Novicius

I love slingshots and
slings

is slings powerful enough for small gam hunting?
Jun 24th, 2010 at 1:54am

I get used to small game hunting with slingshots.

The slinging is more simple and attractive.

I just wonder is slings powerful enough for small game hunting?

I love slingshots and slings&&www.slingshotforum.com

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: is slings powerful enough for small gam huntin
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 2:07am

Slingshots are a lot of fun but comparing the power of an average slingshot to that of a sling would be like comparing the power of a 45 mag vs a cannon. Slings are very deadly in capable hands. Easily capable of launching rocks the size of a large egg 200-400 yards. Getting hit in the head by a decent slinger and fair size rock would mean almost certain death to a human, let alone small game. Something to keep in mind as you go out to practice.  Wink

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 4:39am

Funny how slings and slingshots are often lumped together. In fact they are completely different weapons with only the superficial similarity of a pouch which propels the projectile. A slingshot is an energy storage devive much more like a bow in use.

I'm an absolutely dedicated slinger; a weapon with millenia of history, and a real challenge. But I do also enjoy slingshots. They can be real fun and are much easier to achieve accuracy with, but the power is much less, still fine for small game like rabbits etc.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 5:08am

Powerful enough, yes, accurate enough, for the large majority of people that can sling at all, no way. That´s the reason I consider a sling an unacceptable weapon for hunting. Making a clean kill depends too much on a lucky shot, therefor the chances are imo too high you just wound/hurt the animal.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 7:18am

Even if one meets an animal up to a size of a small roe deer, not cleanly in the doing in, only the shock effect is deadly in 90% of the cases. The hunting on animals is a real challenge for a Slinger. But she is absolutely unnecessary, because our life of it does not take down an animal to kill.
A good 10 years ago I might accompany in Kazakhstan two old experienced hunters with on a traditional Bogenjagt. I had to demonstrate to opportunity my Sling. Though the Kasachen know the Sling, but for them a Sling is rather toys.
(Although I never saw a child with a Sling) after 3 shot hares, foxes and a small roe deer, they changed her opinion about this weapon basically. They called me from then on also hunter.
Today I shoot only at rats. These are a real challenge for a Slinger.
Otherwise I very often train in the wood. There I have tangled a small Parcour. From soft toys and folding discs from metal. Also Balearic Diane is suited very well to practice. I shoot at this aim from a distance from up to 60 m. And this is quite rather wide.
Does to me a favour. If this kills no animals if to her not have to go. Kill from pure sport I hold for extremely perverted.

Many greetings Jaegoor

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 7:37am

You shot a deer with a sling ?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 7:37am

Are slings powerful enough?  Huh You're kidding, right?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 7:56am

Hi Tharos,

I shot a roe deer. I met it in the neck. The animal much simply around and was dead immediately. The distance amounted about to 30 m.

Hi Tint,

I joke only seldom if it to myself around slingen acts.
I have smashed with a Sling already 12 lagige Shilds.
What you believe why Slings in Palestina are used. To knock?? They want to kill with it and hard injure. They also manage this over and over again.

Spaniards reported them with the conquest of the new world on natives bumped who were to be killed in the situation a horse with only one hit in the head.

A Sling is really no toys. I experienced some situations which I do not remember with pleasure.
Often I read here article where I in comes being astonished. About technologies et cetera.
The Sling is definitively a dangerous weapon. And thus one should also handle with her.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 8:24am

Yes. Slings have 5x more power than you need for small game but the rest depends on you               ( accuracy, shot placement and stalking skills are all vital) . However for hunting rabbits I would take a throwing stick over a sling anyday.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 10:45am

Hi, crazysling;
    Welcome to slinging.org!  It's great to have you aboard.  Slings are more than powerful enough for small game.  Any weapon that can fire a stone the size of an large egg 200+ yards can certainly kill small game.  The challenge is in achieving the accuracy necessary.  To me and many others trophy hunting isn't hunting at all.. it's just killing.  Eat what you kill, please.  Good luck!

IP Logged

crazysling
Novicius

I love slingshots and
slings

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 11:01am

Hi, thank you all for kind replies.

I think I am stepping into the wonderful slings world.

We also have a slingshot forum where many slignshots shooters discuss there

www.slingshotforum.com

just share ideas , no intention to Spam since I am neither the owner of that forum , nor the moderator.

I love slingshots and slings&&www.slingshotforum.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 11:14am

crazysling wrote on Jun 24th, 2010 at 11:01am:
Hi, thank you all for kind replies.

I think I am stepping into the wonderful slings world.

We also have a slingshot forum where many slignshots shooters discuss there

www.slingshotforum.com

just share ideas , no intention to Spam since I am neither the owner of that forum , nor the moderator.

hehe, nope as long as you show interest in slinging, no matter how remote, we're generally fine. however, we did have a spammer who was really crazy about slingshots, and kept on spamming our emails.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 12:21pm

The big issue here is accuracy. It will take a while to get good enough for small game, heck it will take a while to get good enough for large game. But the power is there, once you get a decent form.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 2:01pm

People have been feeding themselves with slings for a very long time.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 5:45pm

People have been surviving and thriving in most brutal environments on Earth imaginable, but none says it's easy, or that they all make it! Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)